“Sonny’s Blues” was written by James Baldwin. For some reason in the beginning of the story I thought the narrator was a woman. But as I continued to read I learned that the narrator was a man. The language in which they talked made it obvious that this was from a different time period. They used terms like “get hung” when talking about Sonny’s addiction and said other terms backwards like “school high.” The relationship between Sonny and his brother is very typical of many sibling relationships. They got along, fought, loved, and cared for one another. I particularly enjoyed this story more than “Rappaccini’s Daughter.”
The narrator, like characters in many other stories we’ve read, is not named. I think I that the narrator life is pretty normal beside the fact that he has lost so many people; first his father, then mother, then daughter, and the one person his mother told him to look after used and became addicted to drugs. The narrator spent a lifetime trying to protect Sonny, but tried to come across as being nonchalant to others. In the beginning when he was in character with the other man I could sense him being tense and deeply caring about the situation. I think that it’s kind of sad but one must realize that one can’t be helped unless they are willing to help themselves also.
“Sonny’s Blues” can be classified as a dramatic story because of how much each person changed throughout the story and how they felt. While Sonny was the person with the addiction his brother also needed to grow. By the end of the story Sonny and his brother grew, which make them both dynamic characters. I think that whether or not Sonny’s brother liked his idea of having a career in music he should’ve supported him. Maybe if Sonny would have had a better support system he would have turned to music instead of heroin early in life. But this trial changed everyone’s life for the better and Sonny, unlike many heroin addicts, recovered and changed his outlook on life.
About Me
- ~*Shannon*~
- Hey it's Shannon!!! I know you're flattered and you should be LOL. So I'm kinda new to this blog thing so I'm slowly getting used to it. But I'm 18 {O YEAH!} and I go to Open High School (c/o 2008). I work at Sunny Day Child Care with ages 2-5 and sometimes the school age children. And I also dance at Pine Camp a member of the CDT (City Dance Troupe). I'm really cool and easy to get along with so feel free to leave comments anytime and keep checking for updates. Thanx~
Friday, April 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I also enjoyed this story more then Rappacinnis Daughter. It seemed to connect more with people and there own family situations. It was also so much easier and funner to read becuase i could understand what the characters were actually saying.
I loved the sibling relationship in this story, they of course loved and cared for one another but faught too. But when they got back together after awhile it seemed they were both really nervous and anxious around each other. I liked how the wife was comfortable with Sonny and made the situation more comfortable.
I also thought about Rappacini's daughter. It's interesting how family members feel like or are forced to look after each other. Also I think that Sonny probably would've been better off if he did have more support. Also I thoguht about the fact of how Sonny's brother said that not alot of people could escape from all the negativity in the streets. Also when the mom said that even the good ones can get sucked in. I think that this would be good for an essay maybe. Expressing how anyone can become a drug addict.
The narrator's tone in the beginning of the story is indeed different from the end. I think John also pointed this out. Tense is a good word. Is he happy as a math teacher? Do you think he followed his dream or was he just being repsonbible? The interaction with the young man does seem to give him pause, making him think about his relationship with Sonny.
You're right Shannon. Both characters change and grow. In some ways the narrator's growth may be even more significant than Sonny's. You say that even if the brother didn't like the idea of Sonny's career in music, he should have supported him. Doesn't this make us think about our parents and their hopes and dreams for us? What should they support and what should they fight against?
I like that you noticed the loss the brother went though. I wonder if all those tragedies helped him build this massive wall around himself. He barely let people in, and i think that Sonny really broke that wall down and he began to see that he needed to let the people closest to him in.
Post a Comment